Pick-to-Light System & Equipment Integration
Guest blog by MHI Member Company New Age Industrial
Pick-to-Light is a high-tech pick and fulfillment system that is semi-automated and simple to use. With the employment of lights, buttons, and alphanumeric LED screens, the system guides a human associate throughout the pick/put process. The system knows where items are located within a distribution center and where the picker needs to go next with just the push of a button. This is indicated by the “light” in “Pick-to-Light”. Some manufacturers, like New Age Industrial, design and build material handling equipment that integrates Pick-to-Light technology with order picking equipment to streamline the picking process.
When designing carts and equipment that navigates a facility, it’s important to utilize a manufacturer that can customize carts to fit the needs of the facility, the products being picked, and the Pick-to-Light hardware. There are five features that are essential to accommodate Pick-to-Light technology in material handling carts and equipment.
- User Interface – A channel where the user interface will be mounted.
- Controller – A safe location for the controller to be mounted.
- Antenna – A top location on the cart for an antenna to ensure unobstructed communication with the server.
- Battery – An accessible location for the battery that powers the Pick-to-Light hardware.
- Wiring – Enclosed channels with protected entry points to hide and protect the wiring between the battery, controller, interface, and antenna.
Additional features to consider include a scan gun holder, document shelf, clipboard, easy docking for battery charging, and ergonomic features that make transporting the carts throughout a facility as easy as possible.
New Age Industrial is the leading aluminum extruder and fabricator of storage and transportation equipment in the United States. We design and manufacture heavy duty, yet lightweight aluminum products to meet your exact needs. We work with various industries including foodservice, supermarket, and material handling. For more information, feel free to visit our website or contact us today, and our team will help find you the perfect product that fits your needs.